Follow what lights you up and you'll light up the world. - Rebecca Campbell

I'm Jenn, with 2 n's. Mother of a little superhero, wife, coffee obsessed, lover of life, photography, music, healthy living, nature, food. I have a passion for all the beauty in this world & striving to be the best me possible. Here you will find recipe ideas, mom life posts, photos taken by me & anything else that crosses my crazy mind.


Monday, March 17, 2014

Arugula Walnut Pesto


HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

This isn't an irish recipe, but it's GREEN and delicious!




The recipes calls for:
1/4 cup walnuts
1 garlic cloves
1 1/3 cup arugula, packed
3 tbs olive oil
1 tbs water
2 tbs parmesan cheese
dash of lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


-- Toast walnuts in a small pan on medium heat.  Make sure to keep stirring them so they don't burn.  Toast for about 5 minutes.  Let them cool.
-- Add the walnuts, garlic, arugula, olive oil, water, cheese, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a food processor or chopper.  Use what you have in your home.  I had a mason jar leftover from our wedding favors that were perfect to hold the pesto.


I used the pesto for a spaghetti squash meal.  Yum!

For this recipe just add a few more steps:

-- Cook a medium spaghetti squash.  See link.  Let the squash cool.
-- Scrape out the squash with a fork.
-- Mix the spaghetti squash and the pesto mixture in a bowl.
-- I heated up the spaghetti squash in the oven for about 5 minutes on 350 degrees and sprinkled a little extra parmesan cheese on top before putting it in the oven.  You could also just pop it in the microwave for a little.


Basil is one of my favorite flavors ever, but I must say this recipe and arugula substitute was really good and different.  The toasted walnuts gave it such flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment